SIMPLE RAW HEALTH

As a raw food vegan, health educator,

wannabe photographer, and writer, this is my online outlet.

Please join my family as we share with you our simple, yet healthy lifestyle!

This is where I will educate you about SIMPLE RAW HEALTH.

You really can nourish your body with God-given, natural foods -- don't just survive, but thrive!

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Step-by-step Green Smoothie


Initial Reaction to Green Smoothies

All folks physically cringe when I describe a glorious green smoothie. And some even audibly voice their disapproval with out loud gagging noises.

But, most take a sip when offered one, especially if they watch me drink mine first.

And then they chug the entire glassful when given the "okay" to do so.

After I explain a few health benefits, they often ask me how to make green smoothies at-home...



Reported Benefits of Green Smoothies

I would say that 9 out of 10 persons I have tempted to try one of these concoctions, continues to make and chug these nutrient-dense green drinks. Reported health benefits and improvements in my circle of green smoothie drinkers include:

increased energy
diminished food cravings
quicker recovery from physical exertion 
hair, darker & thicker
skin, softer & smoother
weight loss
lowered cholesterol
seasonal allergy relief
increase in general well-being
lowered blood sugar levels
and on 
and on

For an introduction to green smoothies, click here.
And for more ideas and recipes, click here.


Making a Green Smoothie 


1. 2 cups of water





















2. add large amounts of greens (I fill to near the top)

pictured here: pink chard, yellow chard, lambs quarters (yes, it is a weed)

















3. blend to smooth

a hi-speed, hi-power blender (i.e. K-tec or VitaMix) works best as you want to break open the actual cell walls of the greens


















4. add frozen fruit (about 2 cups)

I often use blueberries or strawberries; add in a frozen banana if you are new at it and like a creamy texture akin to a shake








5. blend to smooth

add-in some other goodies like ground flax, hemp seeds...or for sweetness, add-in a couple of dates or a dollop of honey/agave/brown rice syrup


6. drink!

not all green smoothies are green when done--but the green nutrients are packed to the rim!



Why not give it a whirl?! Yeah, pun intended. Blend yourself up a nice glass of nutrients...

By the time breakfast is done, my family has met the standard daily recommended servings of fruits & veggies! Soon, I will post the rest of our general breakfast menu, complete with photos... 

whole wheat scones
strawberry sauce
fruit salad

3 comments:

deb said...

nice looking site, balanced with good info and pictures . I think exploring eating options is a responsible part of parenting. I commend you on how much work this takes.

now .. off to make a salad...

~Alison~ said...

I'd love to try to add these to my daily diet. I'd love to curb my cravings so I can even attempt to manage to lose weight!

I've never noticed greens at my local supermarket though. (I never really looked for them either.) I'll have to see where I can find some.

I'm hosting a giveaway for a $40 gift certificate to CSN Stores....check out my blog to enter: www.under-the-big-oak-tree.blogspot.com

Christy said...

I make a smoothie almost everyday, not quite as green but I always put some greens in them. My blender would never handle all the greens.