SIMPLE RAW HEALTH

As a raw food vegan, health educator,

wannabe photographer, and writer, this is my online outlet.

Please join my family as we share with you our simple, yet healthy lifestyle!

This is where I will educate you about SIMPLE RAW HEALTH.

You really can nourish your body with God-given, natural foods -- don't just survive, but thrive!

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Wholesome Bread Recipe

After contacting the ladies who taught me how to make homemade whole wheat bread without a bread machine, I am ready to post their recipe... I didn't want to infringe upon their rights and I wanted their permission.

You see, I am a recovered bread machine user. Never again will I go back to that mode of making & creating wholesome bread for my family. Over a year ago I started watching films from Franklin Springs Family Media. In a couple of their documentary-type movies, I met a family called the West Ladies. Soon they had their own dvds on the market. I snatched-up that 3-piece set immediately. These down-home, off-grid living, Christian woman are such an inspiration to me. I yearn to live a really simple life akin to theirs. I do try. And I do succeed in my own way...

Back to the bread. I am in love with making and baking and sharing bread. The textures of the flour and honey and water. The love mixed into it with kneading. The wonder of it rising. The smell of it baking. The delight on faces of those who eat it. All of it, I am in love with it! Ahhh.

Although I am a raw food vegan and I promote a vegan eating style, I must link these ladies and their blog and their website here. Get some ideas. Learn something. They offer more than recipes,they offer a glimpse into a lifestyle. They stand for something bigger, something more important than culinary choices. They are godly women who stand for Christ.

In perusing their bog and/or their site, do take the time to learn what a blessing it is to be the caretaker of the homestead, whether or not your homestead is in the country or a high-rise apartment building or somewhere in between. Take the time to do things the old-fashioned way. Take time...and be thankful for every good gift God gives you this day.

Here is the whole wheat bread recipe. Please do consider buying their Homestead Blessings dvds. A new batch will be out soon--you can pre-order your set now! 


STANDARD BREAD DOUGH 

 • 2 1/2 cups of Warm Water 

 • 2 cups of whole Wheat Flour 

 • 2 teaspoons of Salt 

 • 1/2 cup of Oil 

 • 1/2 cup of Honey 

 • 1 tablespoon of Yeast 


Add the Water, Flour, Salt, Oil and Honey and mix together. 

Then mix in the yeast. 

Add flour until you have a nice dough (4 or 5 cups). 

Knead and let rise for 30 to 40 minutes in a warm place. 


Punch down and form into loaves. 

Place in greased loaf pans and use a fork to poke several holes into dough. 

Let rise again for about an hour. 

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.


* I let mine rise for 90 minutes instead of 30 to 40--as per the directions on their "The Art of Bread Making" dvd.



I am off to making a batch of my own. One with onions and herbs. And another with extra honey, cinnamon, and raisins...Thank you, Hannah, for your kind response to my request! 


May God bless all that you do this day!




1 comment:

Claire said...

I have a bread machine and this morning I realised yet again just how amazing that smell of fresh wholewheat bread is as I am busy waking up. It actually makes me smile. It is more than good!