Thursday, March 27, 2008
Go Green
Green, green, glorious green!
We constantly hear the news reports and we continue to read about adding 5-8 servings of fruits and veggies into our diet. If one is a raw fooder or incorporates raw foods into their diet, it seems it would be easy to get enough of the green stuff, right?
Truth be told, most vegetarians/vegans/raw fooders do not get the amount of greens needed to thrive. Most eat far too much fruit and not enough veggies. Seems to me that fruit is peelable and readily eat-able, whereas veggies need some more prep work like slicing, dicing, tossing, and dressing.
This is where green smoothies come in! They are easy, easy, easy. I had been doing raw food eating for a couple of years before I added in these wonderful concoctions. And now I cannot believe the difference I feel. Imagine if I had started green smoothies from the get-go?!
"Green for Life" by Victoria Boutenko is the book one needs to read if serious about improving health. If you want to not only survive, but thrive, read it!
Basically, you need a high speed blender (such as K-Tec or Vita Mix), not your mamma's old yellow whip-up-some-fluff blender. Of course you need a good dose of greens (i.e. romaine heart, kale, spinach, celery, collard greens, beet tops, and so on), some fruit (frozen fruit adds a nice touch, but fresh works great too!), and about one cup of water. Viola!
This green mess is fondly referred to as pond sludge around our house. But I think such a yucky name should not be given to a drink that has the potential to restore health and vitality. You see, these green smoothies help your body in a myriad of ways. As pointed out in "Green for Life," Victoria discusses these benefits:
- adds minerals & nutrients at amounts you cannot get from eating your way through a salad
- in contrast to juicing (which has its place too), blending gives you much-needed fiber which is important to bind up waste and toxins for free ride outta the body
- helps to regulate your stomach acid to the needed level for proper food digestion (poor stomach acid levels walk hand-in-hand with food allergies, immunological disorders, and more)
- alkaline balance can be achieved (too much acid is really bad for our bodies--many types and forms of disease cannot exist in an alkaline environment)
Now as some of you may know, last fall I started a journey through a land of bad health due to unexplainable stomach distention and sometimes pain. I had an array of other issues at the same time too, none of which the doctors could connect or pinpoint a cause & effect. I had a slew of tests (invasive, toxic at times, not to mention expensive!)--only to find nothing "wrong" with me.
Well, with my degree and background in health education and my desire to continually improve my health and that of my family and friends, I kept on searching. And praying. Finally, after two raw fooders suggested this book, I read it. Victoria ties together many of my health issues and gives me cause & effect answers that the docs with their hi-tech gear could not.
Food. Nutrients. Nutrition. Healing. Health. Those terms all go together. Listen, we are what we eat. Eat living food for a living body.
Basically, the green smoothies have given me more energy, have taken away my food cravings, satisfy my stomach for longer than a non-blended breakfast, and help my body to need less sleep. In addition, my insulin requirements have been cut back drastically. Amazingly some times I can even take off my insulin pump for a few hours. I know of others (family and friends) who have also seen similar health improvements. In her book, Victoria also has a section of testimonials that are pretty awesome and inspiring.
If you trying to make some minor or major health improvements, give the green smoothies a whirl, or should I say a "blend?"
My favorite green smoothie:
- 1 cup of water
- a bunch of kale (when, if wadded up would be the size of 3 cups in the blender canister)
- 1 apple (just core it)
- juice of 1/3 of a lemon
* tip: do buy & use organic produce!
Experiment. Use any combination. Just be sure to add a lot of green matter. Add the fruit in too. And remember that if you throw in some blueberries, strawberries and other non-green produce, your smoothie will turn an odd color. Just put it in a colored cup with a lid and straw if you have an aversion to how it looks. I do this for my son and he drinks them down.
What are you waiting for? Go Green!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Finally started the smoothies this past week. I did romaine hearts and spinach, then blueberries, water, celery, and one day added apples, which wasn't my favorite. Also threw in some flax seed. Stocked up at Fred Meyer today with pears, kale, and many other goodies so will experiment through the week. They are yummy, just look kind of funky! =) My hubby wasn't too sure about them, but thought they tasted really good once he got past the look. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Post a Comment