Friday, June 27, 2008
Toxic Sunsceen
Sunscreen.
If you are like me, you grew up slathering the stuff all over yourself once you were old enough to do it on your own. And before that, your mamma gave you a thick coat outta the brown bottle every time you ventured into the sun's rays.
If you are like me, you heard from many (media, doctors, and your mamma!) that you must wear it.
To prevent cancer. To prevent burns. To prevent wrinkles.
If you are like me you would scrunch your brow, shake your head, and say "uh, whatever," if someone told you that sunscreen is actually doing more harm than good, that it actually promotes cancer, and that it doesn't do a whole lot for the wrinkle thing.
As always, I am on a mission to find information in order to provide education for those around me and for those connected via the technology of the internet. The first I heard of the negatives of sunscreen was late last autumn when my doctor (from Austria) took a look at my blood tests and a look at my skin. He asked if I wear sunscreen. Expecting a "good girl" I proudly said "oh, yes." He simply said, "don't." It was at that time that I did the scrunch-shake-whatever reaction.
Since that day, I have wondered what in the world he was talking about as he didn't linger on the topic. Since last fall the horrors of sunscreen has been brought to my attention. Thank you Lord! Instead of re-writing the articles and information, I will put a few links here for you to educate yourself.
Just know these factoids...
- countries that have a high use of sunscreen (like America) have a high incidence of cancer (there is a correlation between increased sunscreen use and increased cancer rates)
- chemicals in the sunscreen actually cause free radical damage (which is very BAD--cancer-causing etc.)
- when you add heat to the chemicals, you cause an intensification of those nasty chemicals
- health problems related to defunked estrogen (there are many) are linked to sunscreen use
- tropical climates use coconut oil, aloe vera, and/or mashed berries for their "sunscreen"
I have to tell you that I used to be a big proponent of sunscreen. This was the only area that I would negate my rule for food, personal care products, and cleaning products...if you cannot pronounce the ingredient or you don't know what it is, don't eat it, slather it on, or clean with it! I trusted that "they" knew better and would not mislead me. Oh, I trusted wrong. And I have been having a bunch of those "duh" smack my forehead moments...
Now I must relay my personal test of this newfound information. I never ever bare my shoulders to the sun because I was burned to the point of blisters as a teen one time. And I would buy the highest number SPF, mostly intended for babies, and apply and reapply and reapply. When I had a son, I made sure to buy the health food store brand and do the same to him. I thought I was doing a good thing.
So far this year I have not applied sunscreen to my 30-something-year old skin, nor have I applied it to my son's 4-year old skin. We are getting a tan, not a burn. And when it has been really sunny, we wear long sleeves and avoid the intense mid-day rays. So far so good. Last weekend was sunny and we needed to be outdoors working in the yard and garden. This proved to be the ultimate test.
We started out with some of that raw coconut oil (see previous post about this) rubbed in, long sleeves, and wide-brimmed hats. He kept his long sleeves on all day. Not me. I took mine off and had a sleeveless shirt on. Long story short, time got away from me and we were out there for six (6) hours. I came in wondering what I had just done to me and my precious boy.
After showering and getting a good look at things, he had some pinkish color to the back of his neck. I had some pinkish color on the soft almost underside of the back of my arms...that delicate area that hadn't seen the light of day in years. I immediately put on some more coconut oil. And then at bedtime I put some more on. By morning, nothing. You could barely see a tan line!
Now, that is amazing. I know me and my skin. Had this been last summer I would have fried, even with the toxic sunscreen slather ritual. My interest was peaked even more...
Some more factoids I discovered doing more research:
- green smoothies help put a natural barrier into your system for "sunscreen"
- coconut oil used properly has been used for years as "sunscreen" and moisturizer
- healthy eating makes for healthy skin with a healthy reaction to the sun's rays
- "sunscreen" screens out the valuable vitamin D that is only formulated via the sun (that is why my doc asked me about sunscreen as my vit. D levels were sooo low while all the others were off the charts high)
Some more factoids about the goodness of sun:
- God made it!
- plants need it to live
- we eat the plants that need it to live
- we need it to live a healthy vibrant life
Sure, you can be foolish about the sun and get burned. You can stay out too long. Or you can go out at high-noon (about 11am-2pm) and soak up more intense rays. Just think. Stop and think for a minute or two about what I have written.
An educated friend with the inside scoop of health food stores told me today that the "natural" brands are re-formulating their products right now. Word is getting out, pocketbooks are feeling it, and change is coming! They are taking out the nasty chemicals. Finally. Yahoo.
Another friend grew up without sunscreen. It simply wasn't available in her country. She has awesome skin. And she cited the basics facts I listed about not being foolish.
Now, I know that for years and years you may have had "use sunscreen" drilled into your brain, just like me. Although you may not be ready to forgo the lather altogether, you must toss your tubes and bottles and switch to something better. I found a couple brands that I would give an "okay" for use.
- Caribbean Blue (google search it)
- Badger (found at REI, Whole Foods...this is what I bought for the times we have to be in the sun for great lengths and/or at high-noon)
- MexiTan (google search it)
As summer is upon us, please educate yourself. You do not want to boil up a batch of free radical damage that will get baked into your skin, or the skin of your precious little one. You now have the knowledge, it is your choice what to do with it.
I am sticking to my mantra...for all things connected to me, my health, and the health of my family.
If you cannot pronounce the ingredient
or you don't know what it is,
don't eat it,
slather it on your body,
or clean your house with it!
Oh dear, just wait for the post about bug repellent...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Simply Awesome information, Simple Mamma!!! You rocked it out again! Can wait for the next post, since I have been "itching" to write about bug repellent myself...
Post a Comment