Recently some of you have contacted me -- wanting more information about eating healthier in general. Some had requests about green smoothies. Some had requests for healthier cooked food recipes. As I continue to eat a raw food vegan diet, I realize that is not where most of you are at in your journey toward health. I want to meet you where you are.
I used to carry the burden that it was up to me to change people. Nope, not any more. It is ultimately up to God. And you, of course. So, if a HEALTHIER YOU is what you really want, pray for the wisdom, guidance, and strength to do it. Then, go for it!
Reality in my house...
Number of Raw Food Vegans: 1 - me
Number of Wholesome Food Vegans: 1 - 5-year old son
Number of Trying to be a Wholesome-Healthy Eater: 1 - husband
If you are on the Standard American Diet (SAD diet), but want to stick your leg overboard and dangle it into the waters of healthy eating, before taking the plunge, that is fine. We all need to start somewhere. I did. You can check out my journey here...
LUNCH
mostly Raw Food Salad
- salad- organic baby salad greens- organic celery (chopped)
- organic baby spinach
- organic cilantro (chopped)
- red onions (grilled slightly--so son will eat them!)
- sun dried tomatoes (chopped small -- for flavor)
- avocado "dressing" (ripe avocado fork-mashed, half organic lemon squeezed into green mash, dash sea salt, splash organic cold-pressed olive oil)
- toss all of the above together, enjoy!
* Sometimes I don't put amounts for my recipes. To tell you the truth, I am not much a recipe-follower. I get an idea. Then I do what I can with what I have! It is up to you. Make food you want to eat! If you like cilantro, put a whole cup in your salad. If you don't fancy onions, leave 'em out. Do it so you will eat it. And like it!
BREAKFAST
fruit-filled vegan coffee cake


Berry Mixture:
3 cups berries
(I used strawberries & blueberries)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey or brown rice syrup
3 TBSP arrowroot powder or ground tapioca (thickener)
Cook blueberries and water together until boiling. Turn down the heat, cover and simmer for about five minutes. At lowest heat, add sweetener and thickener, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Set aside.
Cake Mixture:
3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 TBSP baking powder
generous pinch sea salt
3/4 cup olive oil
2/3 cup brown rice syrup
or honey
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
(or orange or almond…)
1 1/2 cups whipped silken tofu
(blend 1 container silken tofu in blender until to a pudding-like consistency)
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/2-1 cup “milk” (hemp, rice, almond, soy…)
Put all ingredients in mixing bowl. Mix at med-high speed for about 30 seconds.
To make the coffee cake, pour half of the cake batter into an oiled stoneware baking dish or cast iron skillet. Spread berry mixture over the batter. Drop remaining batter by spoonfuls on top of berry mixture.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes -- 20 minutes uncovered, 20 minutes covered with foil.
* portions of recipe adapted from... one found on my blog & at Christina Cooks & at Heavenly Homemakers
Yum-yum! A fruit-filled coffee cake worthy of any cup of coffee or tea...or even eaten as breakfast (like at our house)!
So, wherever you are on your journey, do what you can to make your current recipes healthier. For example, cut out the animal ingredients, use whole wheat pastry flour instead of white flour, use brown rice syrup or honey instead of white sugar, and make it from scratch!
No comments:
Post a Comment