SIMPLE RAW HEALTH

As a raw food vegan, health educator,

wannabe photographer, and writer, this is my online outlet.

Please join my family as we share with you our simple, yet healthy lifestyle!

This is where I will educate you about SIMPLE RAW HEALTH.

You really can nourish your body with God-given, natural foods -- don't just survive, but thrive!

Friday, July 18, 2008

Secondary Edible Parts of Vegetables

I will take a brief diversion from my Q&A regime here to pass along an interesting and timely link. 

Since adding green smoothies many months ago to my dietary intake, I drool over greens. And with garden season in full-swing, my drooling habit has increased, sometimes more noticeable than others.

Someone at church knows of my raw food eating and they brought me a kohlrabi that they plucked fresh from their garden. While I was excited to cut into that lower bulbous stem portion of the plant, I reached out, plucked me some of the strong, yet tender greens and popped the wad into my mouth. Others in the kitchen gave me odd looks. I chewed, swallowed and then asked if that part of the plant is edible? 

No one knew. We all knew the rhubarb leaves are UN-edible, but no one had an answer for the kohlrabi. And then yesterday when I was picking up my farm share at the CSA, other above-ground-greenery from plants caught my eye. They looked yummy, but are they good for the tummy (& the rest of the body)?

Today I found this link with a nifty chart on the Secondary Edible Parts of Vegetables. Yahoo! Look at the increased nutrition you can put into your body instead of the compost pile! [please take note that some leaves and what-not need slight cooking to make them consumable...do your own additional research to find out more info; please pass along any other links too!]

Kohlrabi Green Smoothie Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups water
- large wad of kohlrabi greens
- small wad of beat greens
- 1 apple
- 1 cup frozen strawberries

This recipe is likely too "green" for newbies, so add in 1/2 frozen banana too and/or a couple of dates for sweetness. Green old-timers, go for it! Chug-a-lug!

--> Riding the NO-FAT train has been fine & dandy so far! Since I am past the need for dressing, even my home-made healthy varieties, so giving up my cold-pressed olive oil was easy. My only quandary this week came in making hummus, but I still made a yummy non-fat version. Instead of olive oil and tahinni, the traditional ingredients, I used soaked sunflower seeds and some water. 

On a trip to town yesterday (one week into the no-fat ride), one lady at the health food store kept telling me that I looked great. She asked me if I feel as good as I look!  ;-)  Ain't she a sweetheart? Yes, indeed. Anyway, I can only chalk it up to another tweaking of my culinary consumption. 

And to answer her question, "Yes, I feel great!"


1 comment:

live love laugh hope said...

Thanks for the link. Now I'm bummed that I threw out the radish tops!