Saturday, March 7, 2009
Breakfast
My son and I rummaged through our big upright freezer a couple weeks ago. I was running low on fresh greens for my green smoothies, but I didn't want to make a trip all the way to town. I knew I had stashed extra garden wonders in the freezer all last summer. I just had to find them!
After we organized the icebox, I found that I had a smorgasbord of greenery. Here is some kale. Several months ago when kale was in abundance, I rinsed it, patted it dry, gently rolled it into green smoothie portion sizes, and wrapped plastic wrap around each bundle. I put 3-4 bundles into a big sealable plastic bag and tossed them into the freezer.
I knew I needed to portion out the sizes beforehand. Frozen kale leaves all stuck together would be hard to separate for my pond sludge slurpies. ;-)
My smoothies have been as fresh and healthful this week as they were when the sun was shining and the garden was growing.
Green Smoothie Recipe--Kale Delight:
To my kale,
I added water (2 cups),
frozen blueberries (handful)
a couple large frozen strawberries (more produce that I got fresh and froze for extended use),
and some freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Yum.
Simple breakfast.
My son loves his fruit and honey laden rolled organic oatmeal to jump start his day. He drinks a small smoothie, but tops off his cavernous 5-year old tummy with our homemade oatmeal.
I add hemp milk for the good fats and great protein--all essential for a growing boy!
Boil water.
Add whole oats.
and honey to taste.
Add some cinnamon.
Toss in a handful of blueberries
and some currants.
Cook for a minute.
Turn off stove.
Let concoction sit for a few minutes.
Healthy eating for my family works best when it is simple.
For us, simple is repeatable and achievable.
Day after day.
Do what works for you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment