SIMPLE RAW HEALTH

As a raw food vegan, health educator,

wannabe photographer, and writer, this is my online outlet.

Please join my family as we share with you our simple, yet healthy lifestyle!

This is where I will educate you about SIMPLE RAW HEALTH.

You really can nourish your body with God-given, natural foods -- don't just survive, but thrive!

Friday, March 20, 2009

What's Cookin' in Your Dryer?


It is time for another post about simple cleaning and healthy household tips...

Take out your dryer's lint trap. After you dispose of the lint (keep the lint and tuck into toilet paper rolls--use for starting fires in your wood stove or on camping trips), hold it under the faucet and run some water onto its surface. Now, take a look. Does that water pool up or does it freely drain right through? Chances are high that it pools up on the surface of your lint trap. Hmm...I wonder why? 

Most fabric softeners (dryer sheets especially) actually coat your meshy lint trap. As they toss to & fro in your heated dryer with the clothes your precious family wears, those dryer sheets release their gunk. Their smell. Their perfume. Their chemicals. Yuck! Not to mention the fire hazard posed by those dryer sheets...

I am always trying to do things healthy and simply for my family. Many years ago I switched to natural laundry products from Seventh Generation and Bi-O-Kleen. Those companies offer some great laundry and household items. I used the liquid fabric softener for years. Of course I diluted it by half water and then only put in half the amount--yes, you can get by with less! Several months ago I switched to an even cheaper, safer, simpler fabric softener. White vinegar.

Oh, it works, really it does. And no, you won't walk around smelling like a pickle! Just pick up a big ole jug or two (I get mine at Costco). Pour some (I have never really measured...probably about 1/3 cup) into the liquid fabric softener dispenser at the start of your wash cycle. That is it. If you miss the perfume smell (it about gags me and I can smell it on people and in their homes now), I don't know what to tell you except think about what absorbed into the skin of your family each time they wore "clean" clothes.

If you lean more toward a faint, natural scent, just buy some essential oils (like lavender) and take a scrap of fabric or an wore out ole sock, now put a few drops of oil onto mister sockie and toss it in the dryer near the end of the cycle. Or make up a concoction of water and essential oil in a spray bottle. When your clothes are spread out on your bed for folding, mist them with the scented water. 


Viola! Clothes free of cooked chemicals. Safe for the whole family!

I will post more later on other simple, cheap, and healthy house-cleaning hints...

No comments: