Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Pesto Pleaser
Ahhh, pasta and pesto, what could be better in the culinary world? Not much. The living food version of this meal is fabulous. I made it and of course consumed all of it today for lunch. If I could put a scratch-n-sniff tab here, I would. It smelled great and tasted even better.
My amateurish photos do not do it justice. And since my 4-year old doesn't use the camera, you will have to just imagine the look of "awe, that is sooogooood" on my face.


Spur of the moment pesto/spinach recipe:
1 small handful of spinach leaves
about 1/4 cup worth of basil leaves (fresh!)
about 2 TBPS olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts (raw, not roasted!)
1 piece of a sun-dried tomato
dash of sea salt
Put it all in the food processor and pulse it into a bumpy paste. Turn off processor and scrape sides. Turn on and zip it until it is the texture you desire. If you want it thinner, add some more olive oil.
Okay, now what about the pasta? If you are taking baby steps with your dietary choices, toss the white flour pasta and choose a whole wheat variety. If you are going for a living foods meal, you will need one of those cute little zucchinis. Don't give me that look, just try it! You won't believe it.
Peel the zucchini, cut the ends off and keep your peeler handy. Now, take your zucchini and peel away. Once you have a stack of peeled zuc innards, slice them lengthwise. You know, into noodle-like form. This is the simple way. There are indeed tools to do this with, but remember, I am the simple girl. Viola! There are your noodles. No kidding.
Yumm.
What could I do with the leftovers? It was too tastey to put it away in the fridge for another meal. I had to eat it all at one time! So, as you can see, I made myself a tomato sandwich. Oh, now that was sooogoooood too. I did use a fork and knife people!
Remember, if you are taking baby steps, just take one! And if you are taking bigger strides by my side, try to keep up! ;-)
Hey, is anyone trying this stuff? Pesto, cookies, wraps...oh my.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment