SIMPLE RAW HEALTH

As a raw food vegan, health educator,

wannabe photographer, and writer, this is my online outlet.

Please join my family as we share with you our simple, yet healthy lifestyle!

This is where I will educate you about SIMPLE RAW HEALTH.

You really can nourish your body with God-given, natural foods -- don't just survive, but thrive!

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Anniversary Dinner




Last night my husband and I celebrated our 14-year anniversary. We had some dear friends over for dinner so I made something more fancy than my usual simple summertime fare. I made veggie vegan pizza. 

Base-thick whole wheat crust (with some fresh herbs outta the garden--thyme & rosemary)

Sauce-canned pizza sauce was next (I prefer Muir Glen's Organic Pizza Sauce)

Toppings-layers of thinly sliced veggies (potatoes, onions, zucchini, bok choy, cauliflower, and tomato -- whatever you desire) *look close, the tomato slices look like hearts...ahhhh

"Cheese"- handful of raw pine nuts, splash of cold-pressed olive oil, splash of water blended to a lumpy paste in the food processor

First, I made the crust with a pre-made organic, whole wheat, yeast-free mix (MaryJane's Farm Budget Mix) and added in my fresh herbs. I poked holes in the crust with a fork and baked it in a stone pan for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

Second, I spread the sauce and added the veggies. 

Third, I dolloped the "cheese" around the top and added some tomato slices and more fresh rosemary.

Fourth, I baked it for 15 more minutes at 350 degrees.

Fifth, they ate it!


raw food versions

Depending on your raw food quota...if 100% raw, use raw flax bread as the base, add all the goodies to the top & just eat it all raw! 

If partially raw, use the whole wheat crust and cook it through, then add all the toppings and eat without baking the second time.

*Thanks to Elena for snapping the photos while I finished with the dinner prep!

I served this with a nice big green salad loaded with the summertime bounty. And of course honey mustard dressing. [look at the bottom of the link for the recipe] We drank sun-made iced tea (apple cinnamon tea bags & toffee tea bag and some mint sprigs made for a minty caramel-apple flavor). For dessert, we had thick, rich chocolate tofu-based pudding and slightly frozen strawberries. 

It was a lovely evening and a nice meal!  And even though I don't partake of the cooked fare, it was a pleasure to make and watch my family and friends eat the pizza and pudding.This SIMPLE RAW FOOD MAMMA can get sorta fancy every now and then  ;-) 

1 comment:

Elena said...

Looks as good is it tasted!!! Happy anniversary once again!!!