SIMPLE RAW HEALTH

As a raw food vegan, health educator,

wannabe photographer, and writer, this is my online outlet.

Please join my family as we share with you our simple, yet healthy lifestyle!

This is where I will educate you about SIMPLE RAW HEALTH.

You really can nourish your body with God-given, natural foods -- don't just survive, but thrive!

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Leaves and Things

Thursday we picked up our CSA farm share and included this week was a head of raddicchio lettuce. Now when it is this big it is strongly flavored with a bitter bite. I am not sure exactly what we will do with it, but as I prepped it for the fridge I couldn't resist snapping a couple of photos. It is amazing with the light-colored veins streaking the green and red leaves.




For those of you who drink green smoothies, here is a tip for winter:

- when you find that you have extra greens (i.e. collard, beet, lettuce...), wash in cold water & lay on towel to dry
- pat off excess water
- place several leaves into a zipable plastic bag
- press out air & seal bag
- toss into freezer 
- pull out and use in your wintertime green smoothies

It won't matter if the greens don't hold their original form when you are going to whiz 'em in the high-speed blender! If you can stock up for winter with some self-frozen greens you will save time and money for cold-weather green smoothies.

No comments: